Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Cheney Breaks Silence on Hunting Accident

What can I say? It was a softball interview, designed to make us feel empathy for Dick Cheney's terrible plight.

From Yahoo News:

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney on Wednesday accepted full blame for shooting a fellow hunter and defended his decision to not publicly disclose the accident until the following day. He called it "one of the worst days of my life."

"I'm the guy who pulled the trigger that fired the round that hit Harry," Cheney told Fox News Channel in his first public comments since the shooting Saturday in south Texas.

Cheney described seeing 78-year-old Harry Whittington fall to the ground after he pulled the trigger while aiming at a covey of quail.

"The image of him falling is something I'll never ever be able to get out of my mind," Cheney said. "I fired, and there's Harry falling. It was, I'd have to say, one of the worst days of my life at that moment."

Cheney was soft-spoken and somber during the interview with Fox's Brit Hume.

"You can talk about all of the other conditions that exist at the time but that's the bottom line and — it was not Harry's fault," he said. "You can't blame anybody else. I'm the guy who pulled the trigger and shot my friend."

Texas officials said the shooting was an accident and no charges have been brought against the vice president.

So, Mr. Vice President--if Whittington dies, are you going to accept the possibility that a Texas grand jury may charge you with criminally negligent homicide?

No comments: