Sunday, October 23, 2005

Judiciary Panel May Ask Dobson to Testify

Here's a screwball turn in the Harriet Miers Confirmation Show. This is from the Washington Post:

The Senate Judiciary Committee is likely to summon a leading conservative Christian to explain the private assurances he says he received from the White House about Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers, the committee's chairman said yesterday.

Testimony by Focus on the Family founder James C. Dobson would heighten the political and religious overtones of the already-high-stakes confirmation hearing for Miers, scheduled to start two weeks from today.

Dobson is among several evangelical leaders enlisted by the White House to vouch for Miers's conservative credentials among right-leaning groups unhappy with her nomination. He spoke with Deputy White House Chief of Staff Karl Rove shortly before President Bush announced the nomination, and later hinted he had received privileged information. "When you know some of the things that I know -- that I probably shouldn't know -- you will understand why I have said, with fear and trepidation, that Harriet Miers will be a good justice," Dobson said told his national radio audience Oct. 5.

When you know some of the things that I know--that I probably shouldn't know--you will understand why I have said, with fear and trepidation, that Harriet Miers will ba good justice.So tell me Mr. Dobson--what is the secret thing that you shouldn't know about Harriet Miers? What did the White House tell you? The American people should have a right to know--including those of us who are certainly suspicious of Harriet Miers. I know that I don't like this idea of the Bush White House telling its hard-lined right wingnuts secrets regarding a potential Supreme Court Justice. Because, Mr Dobson, if you're making secret deals with the White House regarding this nominee, then I don't want her sitting on the bench.

No comments: