Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Daily Headliners--Voter Fraud Big Picture, Gas Prices, Gonzogate, Supreme Court

I'm going to try something new here. There are times when even I get busy and I don't have a chance to write the long analytical posts on the day's news stories. Other times, I may see a story that may be significant, but I don't have a strong comment on it, or perhaps just a small comment. So I'm creating a new series of posts here--the Daily Headliners. In this posting, I will place the day's stories, or blog postings, that I think are important. I may even include a few political comments on them. So here is the Daily Headliners.

The Fraudulent Fraud Squad: A great big picture story on the American Center for Voting Rights, and how this non-profit organization was involved in the entire voter fraud controversy that Karl Rove and the Republican Party kept pushing. Apparently the American Center for Voting Rights has closed up shop now. Hat tip TPM.

Gas Prices are Going Up Again: CNN Money story reporting that inflation-adjusting price for a gallon a gas topped the 1981 record that has stood for 26 years. According to the Lundberg Survey, a bi-weekly gas price tracking service, a gallong of unleaded gas is priced at $3.18, up more than 11 cents from its reading, two weeks ago. The price of unleaded gas in San Jose, California is around $3.50 a gallon.

Gonzales Proposing a New Orwellian Thought Crimes Law: Americablog has a great post on a CNET News story, where Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is asking for even more police powers to investigate, seize, and prosecute copyright infringement.

House Dems Warn White House: TPM Muckraker has a story where House Democrats are preparing to subpoena Karl Rove to testify before Congress on the attorney scandal. My question is when are they going to serve those subpoenas to Rove?

Toe the line in '08...or else: This is from a blog called All Things Democrat. It is a great analytical post that gets into the details of what will happen when a Republican president is elected into office in 2008, and will have a chance to select two or three new Supreme Court justices, which will come from the court's liberal wing. I've written about the dangers of a 2008 GOP president selecting Supreme Court justices, and how the court may overturn Roe v. Wade. The Daily Democrat goes into other legal issues as gay rights, environmental regulations, and executive power. Read it. Hat tip Crooks and Liars.

I'll update this later on today. But for now, it is time to babysit my five-year-old niece Delaney:

Isn't my niece Delaney just so cute?

No comments: