Monday, May 21, 2007

Monday Schoolhouse Rocks--Figure Eight

This has got to be one of the best Schoolhouse Rock songs--Figure Eight. It is such a beautiful, haunting melody, very different for the fun humor of the rest of the Schoolhouse Rock songs. The music and lyrics are by Bob Dorough, and the song is performed by Blossom Dearie. So from YouTube:



Figure eight as double four,
Figure four as half of eight.
If you skate, you would be great,
If you could make a figure eight.
That's a circle that turns 'round upon itself.

Place it on its side and it's a symbol meaning
Infinity...

2 comments:

Blue Girl, Red State said...

That was always one of my favorites, too.

And "Interplanet Janet she's a Galaxy Girl" was right up there on my SHR hit parade, too.

Eric A Hopp said...

Hello Blue Girl: Thank you for your comment. I have to say that I love all of the Schoolhouse Rock songs here. The songs are so catchy, easy to remember and sing to, and certainly funny with visual humor. Some of my own personal favorites are I'm Just a Bill, Conjunction Junction, Ready or Not Here I Come, Nouns, and Adjectives. I watched these educational films during Saturday morning cartoons in the 1970s as I was growing up. And now that I've got the DVD, I'm passing them down to my five-year-old niece, Delaney, who is enjoying them as well. In fact, Delaney learned the concept of infinity by watching this Schoolhouse Rock cartoon.

I did an Interplanet Janet post here. The sad thing about Interplanet Janet is that the song has become obsolete, ever since the astronomers have decided to demote Pluto from a planet status. But curse those astronomers--Pluto will always be a planet for me. Otherwise we're just going to have to redo the entire Interplanet Janet song just because some astronomers can't seem to figure out what the definition of a planet is. I'd say they need to consult Janet here--she's a Galaxy Girl, so she certainly has the most experience since there has never been a planet Janet hasn't seen.

That is, if Janet can get over how weird we are....