Saturday, July 23, 2005

Microsoft Names New Operating System "Vista"

I have a confession to make: I HATE MICROSOFT WINDOWS!

I'm typing this blog entry on an Intel Celeron 1.7 gigahertz computer, 500 megs RAM, with Windows ME. This particular machine's hard drive has been reformatted and the software reinstalled at least three times over the past two years, since I've built it. There has always seemed to be software glitches, or viruses, or unwanted spam programs inserting themselves into the computer--even though I've tried to protect myself with Norton Anti-Virus. I fear that when I first starting building this machine, it would become obsolete within the next week.

So, I get on the CNN website, and what do I see?

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Microsoft announced Friday that it will call its next-generation operating system "Windows Vista."

The much-anticipated operating system had formerly been code-named "Longhorn."

Microsoft also unveiled the Windows Vista Web site and said the first beta test version of the system, which will be targeted at developers and IT professionals, will be available by Aug. 3. The system is scheduled to be released late next year.


I'm pissed at Microsoft because just about every release of a new Windows operating system or a new Office program, has become bloated with more crap that Microsoft touts as "features." The more that Microsoft creates these bloatware programs, the more computer hardware resources these programs need, and the more money I have to spend on upgrading or purchasing a new computer, just to do some basic tasks. It is never-ending. I could switch over to a Mac, but then all my accumulated Windows programs would become coasters (As if they already are). I would probably have to invest in all new Mac software--which also costs money. How about Linux? Can you run Office 2000 on a Linux machine? Since the world now runs in Microsoft, I guess I'm pretty much stuck with Windows.

What is so ironic is that I know that Microsoft's new "Vista" operating system will not improve the computing world. Microsoft will sell a gazillion Vista OS programs--pre-installed on all the Dell and HP computers. All the Silicon Valley Geeks will download the beta versions to their computers, find several hundred bugs in the bloated program, then tell their hacker buddies about the bugs so that the hackers could create viruses in another attempt to take down the "Evil Empire." And as Vista is released, it will perform about the same as XP, which performed the same as ME, which performed the same as 98--get the picture? The only difference between the MS operating systems is that you needed even more modern and more expensive hardware to make the systems run.

And you wonder why our landfills rapidly accumulate with obsolete computers and old parts.

I shake my head and say, "Oh well."

No comments: